On 20.08.2017 20:32, Johnson Jones wrote:
On Friday, 18 August 2017 at 06:37:44 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

Glad you figured it out. I had to enable Visual D in the extension manager when using the local pkgdef.

Visual D installs for all users, so I think just installing into the users AppData is not an option. VS 2017 doesn't seem to inspect the "All Users" folders.

The installer is not supposed to write to the system registry for VS2017 related components. I see some bad entries for mago and two entries for marshalling some data, though, but they don't seem to have an impact on extension detection (IIRC they are needed during build).

It writes a few clsID's I think. about 2 or 3, let me check...

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{002a2de9-8bb6-484d-9903-7e4ad4084715}
C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\vdserver.tlb

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{002A2DE9-8BB6-484D-980E-7E4AD4084715} C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\visuald.dll

These are the ones referred to above that might be used during building.

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{002a2de9-8bb6-484d-aa05-7e4ad4084715} C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\DParser\DParserCOMServer.exe

This one is needed to start the semantic engine as a local COM server.

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{97348AC0-2B6B-4B99-A245-4C7E2C09D403}
C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualD\Mago\MagoNatDE.dll

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\MagoDebugger

In theory Mago is not a VS debug engine, but a system wide COM component that can be used by other debugger frontends, too. I haven't seen another application using it, though.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VisualD

I also had to reinstall VisualD because for x64 the debugger would not run. That probably came from me deleting one of those directories(the ones referring to mago I guess).

So, I'm not sure if some of those keys are interfering with getting isolation between the VS versions or what, but it seems that Visual Studio load the registry version first before the extension package and also then caches it. This makes it impossible to actually use the isolated visual D even when everything is setup right as far as the pkgdef's.

IMO all of these registry keys should have no influence on extension loading.
              • Re: D... Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Johnson via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Johnson Jones via Digitalmars-d-debugger
              • Re: D... Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-debugger
  • Re: Debugging Visual D using Vi... Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d-debugger