Adding -Wl,--verbose to see the linker verbose output I see that there is an error in the compilation command line. We should specify -L-l:org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86.a -L-l:dwt-base.a instead of -L-lorg.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86 -L-ldwt-base

Otherwise it looks for a file named liborg.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86.a or liborg.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86.so.

With this change I see the the linker succeeds to open org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86 but then does nothing with it.

As you suggest Olivier, it could be explained if this file contains i386 code instead amd64 code.

I used the provided rdmd command to build dwt. Is there a special thing to do to build a amd64 version of the library ?