Qian Xu wrote:
Lutger wrote:
s[4] means the fifth element of s[]
s[0..4] is a slice from the first to the fifth, but not including the fifth element. The last element in a slice is always one past the end of that slice.

Thank you both.
I have to do math in mind in order to keep my code correct ;-)

IMO, it does not make any sense.
s[start..end]

  end - is neither the count of characters in the array slice,
           nor the end index of the slice.
        it is just the index after the real end character.

It's the same way it is in Python, etc. Also, it makes a lot of things easier, i.e.:

s[0..x] is x characters long
s[x..$] is everything from index x to the end of the string