Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:51:56 -0400, Stewart Gordon <smjg_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
If I want to read the whole message you're replying to, I can open up the mesasge you're replying to in my newsreader.

Yes, but there are some issues there:

1. the newsgroup/newsreader sometimes doesn't correctly put your message as a reply to the original.

Is it really happening with _my_ messages? (When a thread becomes broken up, how often compared to not is it due to user error?)

2. You may not read messages threaded, so it might be tough to find the original message.

If I want to be able to see what a message is in reply to, why would I use a newsreader that doesn't offer a threaded view?

3. You almost ALWAYS want to read the immediately responded-to message for context (i.e. quote level 1), I am annoyed when I have to close the message I was reading to read the one responded to. Especially when I am following 5 threads at once.
<snip>

Does Opera Mail make it as cumbersome as that? Most programs I've read newsgroups in offer two alternatives:
- keeping two message windows open at once
- a preview pane that can be quickly and easily changed to view a different message

Maybe what would be better still is some kind of split-pane view of two messages at once.

Stewart.