Hello grauzone,

bearophile wrote:

In other benchmarks memory usage of Free Pascal is not dramatically
lower, but it's usually near the top of lower memory usage in all
Shootout benchmarks.

No idea. I just know that FPC doesn't use GCC. I think it doesn't even
link to libc! (I can't really confirm, ldd crashes on the executable
produced by fpc.) Maybe it just avoids some constant overhead due to
this.

If that's the root, then it may well be a fictitious benefit because it may well have no effect on the resident set size (the amount of RAM actually used) during the main processing. All that it would be doing is to no include at all code that the C version never pulls off disk (executables lazy load on most systems).