Thanks for the informative reply.

I am getting a run-time error with to!int(str). Apparently to!() seems to only
support one-way converting other types to strings. That is part of the reason
why
I was getting so confused in figuring out how to read in an integer value. But
you
guys pointed me towards parse!() and that does work with string->int.

So there is no scanf equivalent, but there is also nothing similar to C++ cin
with
the << operator?

And as for Phobos not being included much in TDPL, makes sense. I hope they
include a reference section on it in the 2nd edition after Phobos is stabilized.
That would make the book near perfect imo.