On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:56:18 -0400, Dave <ddioni...@renegadeware.com>
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:27:10 -0400, awishformore
<awishform...@nospam.plz> wrote:

On 22/07/2010 03:36, Sean Kelly wrote:
Make the ctors "shared static this()" -- those are only constructed
once when the process starts up. The non-shared static ctors are
thread-local.

That concept is really weird, though. So this applies to anything
static, not just variables?

The puzzle is, let's say you have thread local static variables and
shared static variables. Which should be initialized when?

The end result we came to is that there should be a way for thread-local
variables to be initialized on thread creation, and shared variables to
be initialized on program instantiation.

So we need a syntax for this. Various things were suggested, and the
current behavior was chosen for its consistency with current
terminology:

shared int x;
shared static this() { x = 5; }

or:

shared
{
int x;
static this() { x = 5; }
}

int x2;
static this() { x2 = 5; }

It looks pretty good to me. You just have to start thinking that
thread-local is the norm :)

-Steve

While we're on the topic, I've been using dcollections lib for some
time now and came across a problem when implementing shared classes,
this being an example:

import dcollections.ArrayList;

shared:

class Resource {
}

synchronized class ResourceManager {
void add(Resource res) {
bool added;
resources.add(res, added);
}

void remove(Resource res) {
foreach(ref doRemove, v; &resources.purge) {
doRemove = v is res;

private:
ArrayList!(Resource) resources;
}

I'm getting the following compile errors:

threadTest.d|13|Error: function
dcollections.ArrayList.ArrayList!(shared(Resource)).ArrayList.add
(shared(Resource) v, out bool wasAdded) is not callable using argument
types (shared(Resource),bool) shared|
threadTest.d|13|Error: cannot implicitly convert expression (res) of
type shared(Resource) to shared(Resource)[]|
threadTest.d|13|Error: cast(uint)added is not an lvalue|
threadTest.d|17|Error: function
dcollections.ArrayList.ArrayList!(shared(Resource)).ArrayList.purge
(scope int delegate(ref bool doPurge, ref shared(Resource) v) dg) is
not callable using argument types (int delegate(ref bool doPurge, ref
shared(Resource) v)) shared|
||=== Build finished: 4 errors, 0 warnings ===|

I'm not quite sure I understand the errors. Is there something I'm
missing?

Yes, ArrayList is not meant to be a shared class. There are no shared
methods on it. The clue is here:

dcollections.ArrayList.ArrayList!(shared(Resource)).ArrayList.add
(shared(Resource) v, out bool wasAdded) is not callable using argument
types (shared(Resource),bool) >>>>>shared<<<<<

Emphasis added by me.

The problem here is that the compiler says everything must be shared
transitively. So even though you are locking the ResourceManager object,
you have to treat its 'resources' member as if something outside the
ResourceManager object also has a reference to it.

I'm not exactly sure how to solve this, without duplicating all methods
and marking them shared. You can try casting, it should be safe in this
context since the array list is private.

Sean, Walter, Andrei? What is the correct method to say "don't mark this
member as shared because it's always protected by a lock"? Or if that's
impossible, what's the right way to solve this kind of problem?

Also, resources.add(res) should work I think (you don't need the added
part). The documentation is severely out of date, I apologize for that.

-Steve

Ah thanks for pointing that out, I misread the error. It does read better that way as it is calling the method as 'shared'.

I would have thought that instantiating a template with a shared class implies that all its methods will also be shared?

No worries about the doc, you did indicate it in your project. The ddoc generated with the current code seem to be correct so far...if not, the code is clear enough to understand the methods.

I was mucking around with it more and came up with this:

module threadTest;

import dcollections.ArrayList;

class Resource {
}

synchronized class ResourceManager {

    void add(Resource res) {
            (cast(ArrayList!(Resource))resources).add(res);
    }

    void remove(Resource res) {
        ArrayList!(Resource) reses = cast(ArrayList!(Resource))resources;

        foreach(ref doRemove, v; &reses.purge) {
            doRemove = v is res;

private:
    ArrayList!(Resource) resources;
}

Seems to compile, I'd have to test it at runtime and actual application to see if it is feasible. I suppose it's safe to uncast a shared variable so long as it is localized within the methods.