Steven Schveighoffer:
> I thought it was "you're on your own", not undefined behavior.  The former
> implies there is some "right" way to do this if you know more about the
> data than the compiler, the latter implies that there is no right way to
> cast away const.  Am I wrong?

In my opinion if this thing is well designed then you go in undefined behaviour
only when you change the contents of something after you have removed its const
nature with a cast. Just casting const away and then reading the data can't be
undefined behaviour, otherwise casting const away is useless and can be totally
disallowed.

Bye,
bearophile