On Monday, August 09, 2010 18:21:21 simendsjo wrote:
> Yeah, I know. I'm really just pointing out very small things here as I
> try to learn the language and library. Still.. I do think that static
> checking is a very good way of eliminating many common bugs. This might
> have been a bad example. I've coded several non-trivial applications in
> scripting languages, and more often than not, I _know_ what kind of
> objects my functions accepts... Why a runtime error when you can have a
> compile time error?

Well, fortunately, D is statically-typed and generally designed to catch bugs
at
compile time rather than runtime. It doesn't always succeed (dmd omniscient
after all), but a lot more errors are going to be found at compile time than
runtime than you'd get with many other languages - especially scripting
languages which tend to be dynamically typed.

- Jonathan M Davis