On Wednesday, 22 April 2020 at 10:32:48 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:

Now I discover Python, Rust, and Go have far nicer abstractions for writing Internet code than D does. Does D really not have a TcpListener abstraction?

It really doesn't :(

And D has so much potential as server tech with the potential combination of fibers + TLS + shared + static introspection.

The package Vibe-d is quite nice though. I don't know if you've tried it but it's very simple to get a listener up with it.

To date all I can get is:

std.socket.SocketOSException@std/socket.d(2792): Unable to bind socket: Bad file descriptor

when trying to open a TCP server on 127.0.0.1:50000, with Python, Rust, or Go it all worked first time. This is really sad given D has so many advantages over Rust. :-(