On Thursday, 7 May 2020 at 20:12:03 UTC, learner wrote:

Modules of D standard library aren't in a good shape, if everyone suggests alternatives for a basic building block as variant.

I don't think Variant as a whole is the problem, when one uses it as the infinite variant it does fairly much what one can expect. The finite-field specialization of it is the one that's badly implemented.

The types VariantN can hold are known at compile time, why can't it be specialized?

It could, probably. This shows the biggest weakness (and strength) of D development: It's voluntary, so people work on that they happen to want to. That makes it unevenly developed compared to financially backed projects. We have both plenty of cool & rare features and lack of many relatively basic ones at the same time.