On Saturday, 20 June 2020 at 01:35:56 UTC, Denis wrote:

THE OBJECTIVE

The objective is to read a file one line at a time (reading each line into a string), while checking for human-readable text character by character. Invalid characters (control and UTF-8) should generate an exception.

Unless there's already an existing function that works as described, I'd like to write one. I expect that this will require combining an existing read-by-UTF8-char or read-by-byte function with the additional validation.

It sounds like maybe what you are looking for is Unicode character categories:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_character_property#General_Category