On Tuesday, 19 May 2015 at 12:21:48 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 5/18/15 7:55 PM, Freddy wrote:
How do you allocate an associative array on the heap?
----
void main(){
     alias A=int[string];
     auto b=new A;
}
----
$ rdmd test
test.d(4): Error: new can only create structs, dynamic arrays or class
objects, not int[string]'s
Failed: ["dmd", "-v", "-o-", "test.d", "-I."]

As others have said, I don't know why you would want to do this, since AA is already simply a wrapper for a pointer to a

AA is a wrapper for a pointer (e.g a struct with some extra info beyond the plain pointer), or AA is just the plain pointer (nothing extra)?

I tried this:

  class Foo {}
  Foo[string] foos;
  writeln(foos.sizeof);  // print 8

looks like it's just a plain pointer?

The usage pattern to have AA on the heap is, e.g:

class Class {
  StudentInfo[string] students;  // dict-by-name
  // many other fields
}

suppose in a multi-threaded app, the Class object is shared, and one thread will perform a lengthy updates on all the students. To ensure data consistency among all the students object, instead of updating each student's info of the original AA in a loop (with lengthy locking period), it can be achieved by heap-alloc a new AA, update the new AA, and atomic-set:

  new_students = new StudentInfo[string];  // heap-alloc a new AA
  // length update on each of new_students
  atomicStore(theClass.students, new_students);