On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 at 13:17:11 UTC, wjoe wrote:
- Choosing a port which isn't in use right now isn't good enough because a few minutes later there may be another program using it, too, and for the same reason.

But doesn't the UDP header include the sender IP address? So together with the magic number, shouldn't it be good enough? I know it definitely is not going to hold against jamming or a man in the middle, but it isn't supposed to, at this stage. It's used only for simulations that have the criticality of a casual Tetris server.

I do acknowledge that the needs may rise later on. And if so, I understand that I'm much better off switching the protocol than trying to hardening the UDP.