On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 at 02:23:31 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 at 01:49:13 UTC, James Blachly wrote:
I wish to write a function including ∂x and ∂y (these are trivial to type with appropriate keyboard shortcuts - alt+d on Mac), but without a unicode byte order mark at the beginning of the file, the lexer rejects the tokens.

It is not apparently easy to insert such marks (AFAICT no common tool does this specifically), while other languages work fine (i.e., accept unicode in their source) without it.

Is there a downside to at least presuming UTF-8?

According to the spec [1] this should Just Work. I'd recommend filing a bug.

[1] https://dlang.org/spec/lex.html#source_text

Under the identifiers section (https://dlang.org/spec/lex.html#identifiers) it describes identifiers as:

Identifiers start with a letter, _, or universal alpha, and are followed by any number of letters, _, digits, or universal alphas. Universal alphas are as defined in ISO/IEC 9899:1999(E) Appendix D of the C99 Standard.

I was unable to find the definition of a "universal alpha", or whether that includes non-ascii alphabetic characters.
  • Why is BOM required to us... James Blachly via Digitalmars-d-learn
    • Re: Why is BOM requi... Paul Backus via Digitalmars-d-learn
      • Re: Why is BOM r... Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d-learn
        • Re: Why is B... Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d-learn
          • Re: Why ... James Blachly via Digitalmars-d-learn
            • Re:... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d-learn
                • ... GK via Digitalmars-d-learn
              • ... James Blachly via Digitalmars-d-learn
                • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn
                • ... Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d-learn
                • ... Dominikus Dittes Scherkl via Digitalmars-d-learn
                • ... Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d-learn