This is a RosettaCode simple task:
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Sort_disjoint_sublist#D

Given a list of values and a set of integer indices into that value list, sort
the values at the given indices, but preserving the values at indices outside
the set of those to be sorted.

Example input:
  values: [7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0]
  indices: {6, 1, 7}

Output:
  [7, 0, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 6].

I'd like to solve the problem using std.algorithm.sort, creating an array of
proxy things, that while they get sorted, sort the original items too. Is it
possible? This is a first try, but it doesn't work. I think struct postblits
aren't useful here (currently disjointSort can't use a map() because of a map()
bug I've added to bugzilla few days ago, so I use just a foreach+append).

import std.stdio, std.algorithm, std.array;

struct Proxy(T) {
    T* item;

    int opCmp(ref const Proxy other) {
        if (*item < *(other.item))
            return -1;
        else
            return *item > *(other.item);
    }

    void opAssign(Proxy other) {
        if (item != null)
            *item = *(other.item);
        item = other.item;

Proxy!T proxy(T)(ref T item) {
    return Proxy!T(&item);
}

void disjointSort(T, U)(T[] arr, U[] s) {
    auto idxSet = array(uniq(s.sort()));
    auto proxies = new Proxy!T[idxSet.length];
    foreach (i, idx; idxSet)
        proxies[i] = proxy(arr[idx]);
    proxies.sort();
}

void main() {
    auto data = [7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0];
    auto indexes = [6, 1, 1, 7];
    disjointSort(data, indexes);
    writeln(data);
}

Here I think opAssign() is not used by the swap() used by sort().

Bye,
bearophile