On Thursday, 24 December 2020 at 08:36:54 UTC, RSY wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 December 2020 at 19:00:14 UTC, evilrat wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 December 2020 at 18:03:56 UTC, frame wrote:

It's not the problem mentioned but I had to struggle with DLLs and D's Variant-type. The problem is that Variant uses TypeInfo which does not pass DLL boundaries correctly so that int != int in runtime even it's in fact a simple int.

If you need to exchange unknown data between a DLL and your application you need to get a workaround and cannot use that elsewhere settled nice feature. But it's a Windows specific issue - it works as expected on other systems.

Which is basically same as in C++, despite the fact it does have real working SO/DLL runtime's many large projects have their own RTTI implementation. LLVM has its own RTTI because standard type info is "inefficient", Unreal Engine has its own, IIRC Qt too has its own, etc...

Same thing with D Variant, some people say it is "inefficient"... so we ended up having multiple libraries.

Not saying anything about how good or bad all this, just the facts.

C++ you need to write duplicate code (.h and .cpp)

C++ you need to care about header include order

C++ you need to forward declare everything you gonna use if it is not included before

C++ you need to waste time waiting for compile

Fixed with C++20 modules.

I am already playing with the experimental support on VC++.

C++ you need to fight to get proper reflection

Coming in C++23, and partially available already with a mix of type traits and constexpr.

I am all good for D vs C++, but one needs to update their knowledge specially when the audience is up to date with latest ISO C++'s capabilities.