On 2/25/2011 3:33 AM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
Well using one language you aren't familiar with to learn another is probably
not the best strategy.

For one thing C++ uses namespaces and D uses modules. They are both about
name-space but are very different approaches. If you want to learn about
modules then write a simple application. Place all functions in one module/file
and import that into a file that contains the main function. Then call $ dmd
file1.d file2.d

Right again. It would be great to have complete tutorials for D. But the fact is we don't, so one has little choice but to use another language's tutorial. Truth be told, I was hoping that Bartosz Milewski, a very active programmer in the D community would see my post and, would realize that I was using his tutorials and offer to port them to D so that the community as a whole would benefit from them. I've gotten away of trying to ask authors directly to convert their material to D because that rarely ever works.

As far as learning the differences between C++ and D, I really have no desire. I'm what you might call an advanced beginning D programmer. Lost but not dumb: I do know how the D module system works and I have an inkling of how C++ namespaces work. I know the basics of programming (in D language, but the basics translate to any other language quite easily) and am looking for ways to use that to do something useful. Unfortunately, the more complete/useful tutorials are written in C/C++ and not my language of choice: D. The authors of those tutorials have no interest in D or probably have never even heard of D and would care less about it's existence because it does not positively affect their financial well being.

I will eventually port the program, because that is what I want to do. But the fact is, that will take several months using a trial and error approach. I was just hoping to get through the process a little faster and learning from that example, go ahead and port the rest of the tutorials on Bartosz's site. Sorry for assuming someone would be willing to offer to lend a hand in doing so. I would offer to compensate that individual for time lost doing the conversion but I have no idea what would be a reasonable offer and refrained from doing so because I had no desire to offend anyone here.

Well, thank you all.