On Friday, 25 June 2021 at 17:37:13 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
You cannot use the most significant bit as it will not work with some 32-bit systems. Linux with a 3G kernel position for example. Better to use the least significant bit as all allocated memory is guaranteed to be aligned. Regardless this requires compiler support for masking off this bit.

Hm. Not sure if I follow, I think we are talking about stuffing bits into the counter and not the address?

Now where going into halfway fat pointer support. Then we can just use fat pointers instead and have full freedom.

But fat pointers are 16 bytes, so quite expensive.