Sorry for messed up post, fixed it.

On Wednesday, 6 October 2021 at 18:29:34 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
You can return this thing and pass it around, and the GC will keep it alive until it's not needed. Then on collection, the value is freed.

Is the gc required to call ~this() on the struct? I remember it being implementation defined. Probably doesn't matter for my usecase, just curious.

Why is it a problem that it calls the dtor? I thought the whole point of refcounting is for the dtor to decrement the refcount, and free the malloc'd object only when the refcount has actually reached 0.

Yes I'm afraid of double freeing. How do I pass existing struct to refcounted without the already existing copy calling destructed on function exit.