On 10/26/21 1:38 PM, Imperatorn wrote:

That's the current implementation.

No, that's the API. You cannot fix the implementation with that API and not end up allocating an array to hold the entire unzipped contents. You can't even decompress to a file, and then mmap those contents -- the address space isn't there.

I don't know about *nix, but my Windows machine can easily extract a file bigger than my RAM.

zlib does not require decompressing in entirety. This is just the way that std.zip decided to expose the API. e.g. iopipe uses an expandable buffer for decompression and compression, which does not have to contain the entire file.

-Steve