On Wednesday, 10 November 2021 at 22:17:48 UTC, russhy wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 November 2021 at 06:47:32 UTC, forkit wrote:
btw. My pc has 24GB of main memory, and my CPU 8MB L3 cache. So I really don't give a damn about allocations .. not one little bit ;-)

Having the right mindset helps not make these mistakes in the future

Changing habits is hard, make sure to train yourself to pick the right one, early if possible

Umm.. you kinda missed the last part of my post...

..where I said..'Now if I were running a million processes across 1000's of servers, I probably would give a damn.'

C'mon... nothing in my code was 'unacceptable' in terms of speed or efficiency.

Making code transformations to improve speed and efficieny are important, but secondary. A newcomer cannot improve code that they do not understand ;-)

Picking understandable code first, IS right.

In any case, I say again, this thread is not about writing performance code per se, but about presenting code to new-comers, that they can make some sense of.

Taking some C code, and writing/presenting it in D (or vica-versa) in such a way that you can longer make any sense of it, is kinda futile.

I doubt the original op will ever come back to D, after seeing some of those examples that were provided ;-)