On 2011-03-13 23:27:14 +0100, Magnus Lie Hetland said:

Any other ideas on how to handle this sort of "mostly const" or "const where it counts" stuff? Perhaps my design intentions here are off to begin with?-)

OK -- a *little* quick on the trigger there. My solution: Declare the method const, and assign the non-essential cache stuff to local variables, casting away the constness.

(Still open to schooling on the design part of this, though. Perhaps declaring a method as const is no good when it's not *really* const? For now, I'm just doing it to check that I don't inadvertently change things I don't want to change.)

--
Magnus Lie Hetland
http://hetland.org