On Monday, 27 December 2021 at 11:21:54 UTC, rempas wrote:
So should I just use UTF-8 only for Linux?

Most unix things do utf-8 more often than not, but technically you are supposed to check the locale and change the terminal settings to do it right.

But what about Windows?

You should ALWAYS use the -W suffix functions on Windows when available, and pass them utf-16 encoded strings.

There's a bunch of windows things taking utf-8 nowdays too, but utf-16 is what they standardized on back in the 1990's so it gives you a lot of compatibility. The Windows OS will convert to other things for you it for you do this utf-16 consistently.

Unfortunately I have to support this OS too with my library so I should know.

The Windows API is an absolute pleasure to work with next to much of the trash you're forced to deal with on Linux.