On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:57:32 -0500, Spacen Jasset <spacenjas...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

On 10/03/2011 12:18, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 18:19:55 -0500, Joel Christensen <joel...@gmail.com>
wrote:

This is on Windows 7. Using a def file to stop the terminal window
coming up.

win.def
EXETYPE NT
SUBSYSTEM WINDOWS

bug.d
import std.stdio;
import std.string;

void main() {
auto f = File( "z.txt", "w" );
scope( exit )
f.close;
string foo = "bar";
foreach( n; 0 .. 10 ) {
writefln( "%s", foo );
f.write( format( "count duck-u-lar: %s\n", n ) );

output (from in z.txt):
count duck-u-lar: 0

If I dust off my rusty old Windows hat, I believe if you try to write to
stdout while there is no console window, you will encounter an error.

So don't do that ;) I'm not sure what you were expecting...

-Steve
You normally get no output AFAIR using c++ type compiled programs with printf or cout -- and perhaps an error set in cout, but I can't remember about that now.

But don't forget, D uses DMC's runtime, not Visual Studio. Make sure you are comparing to DMC compiled programs.

-Steve