On Wednesday, 19 October 2022 at 03:10:29 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

It's right there in the summary of the Final Review of the DIP that I linked above:

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/accepted/DIP1038.md#final-review

I meant to say the summary of the formal assessment. One of the conditions of acceptance was this one:

develop rules for handling covariance and contravariance when applied to functions.

Paul opted instead to do just have it apply to types for now. A future enhancement can take on extending it to functions. As he noted above, that's the approach Rust took as well.