On Friday, 18 November 2022 at 11:51:42 UTC, thebluepandabear wrote:
A question I have been thinking about whilst using D is how often I should be using const.

Many people claim that all variables should be const by default, but whether or not it is really needed is debatable and oftentimes making everything const could cause readability issues and make the code more complex.

I also wonder how important const really is, like 99% of the time you will know when your variable will be changed, and even when a variable changes it's not like it is the end of the world.

Also, there is no real end to how much variables can be const. Oftentimes -- interestingly -- in popular repos I don't even see const being used, this is what confuses me.

As a newcomer, I'd be interested in hearing everyones thoughts.

Some languages like Kotlin and Rust are const by default, but for languages that are not like D I have always wondered how often you should use const.