On 06.04.2011 02:15, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 19:37:15 -0400, Caligo <iteronve...@gmail.com> wrote:

It's just frustrating, that's all. Writing thousands of lines of code
and having everything stop because of a compiler bug is just
frustrating.

I completely understand. It's why I have to periodically stop using D.
Dcollections sat idle for over a year while I waited for a compiler bug
to be fixed.

I know progress is being made, and all that is appreciated. But, I
don't remember ever hearing anything about D2 being in beta. If
anything, I remember months ago where D2 was recommended for new
projects. So, now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Start all
over again from scratch? I really like my design, so I guess I'll
have to wait till it gets fixed.

Sorry you got that impression. The fact is, as long as you are using the
non-broken features, D2 is pretty useful, even downright awesome :) The
issue is, if you hit one of those broken ones. Unfortunately, the
release of TDPL didn't make all those features magically appear fully
implemented. So since TDPL is promoted as the offical language spec, D2
suddenly jumped way back in the release cycle, since many of its
unimplemented/not-fully-implemented features became "official".

I'd highly recommend *NOT* to use D2 for new projects unless you are
willing to redesign your code to work around those issues, or wait for
them to be fixed. I truly wish this wasn't the case, but I don't see how
anyone can confidently recommend D2 for professional or non-toy
projects. This may sound like an anti-endorsement, but I assure you it
is not. I think D2 is going to be absolutely killer when it's finished.
I just would not use it for professional development *right now*, where
deadlines and budgets are under consideration. If you can afford to put
it down when it breaks and wait for a fix, then I think it will be worth
the wait.

-Steve

Both the d1 and d2 homepage states the following:

There are two versions of the language:
  1. D version 1 which is in maintenance mode.
  2. D version 2 which is recommended for new projects.

Should it mention that d2 is beta and phobos alpha? Or are you alone in thinking that?