On Wednesday, 8 February 2023 at 13:32:46 UTC, zjh wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 February 2023 at 12:12:57 UTC, thebluepandabear wrote:
but I still think the language has potential in the future

I don't know if they have a sense of crisis. Now `D` in tiebo ranks `50`.

I wouldn't say they have or should have a sense of crisis, the language itself is improving on a day-to-day basis but it isn't gaining popularity. I initially came in excited learning D because I thought that having a small ecosystem would just be a minor pain, but now I realize it's not minor -- it's pretty major. This is not to say D isn't a good language, it certainly is pretty good, but it just needs a bigger ecosystem. The community itself is great, no weirdos in it like Rust, but it just needs to be bigger.

I am actually taking a computer science class and I need to create desktop apps to pass and get through school. I thought this would be possible with D, but it has turned out to be a massive pain, so this is why I am switching to Java.

I think D may be one of those languages that eventually blows up like Rust because it's honestly great (it feels like a native Java some times), they just need to work on _marketing_ and _strengthening_ the ecosystem.

Some corporate backing (RedHat, for example) would also be great since many people are working on it for free, and thus lacking in motivation.

anyways I know nobody cares about my opinion, and hopefully this didn't come across disrespectful