On Friday, 31 May 2024 at 16:07:23 UTC, Andy Valencia wrote:
I'm coding a server which takes TCP connections. I end up in the main thread with .accept() which hands me a Socket. I'd like to hand this off to a spawn()'ed thread to do the actual work.

    Aliases to mutable thread-local data not allowed.

Is there some standard way to get something which _isn't_ in TLS? Or do I have to drop back to file descriptors and do my own socket handling?

TIA,
Andy

I just want to point out that you should not spawn a thread for each accepted socket. That is very bad and expensive.

You should instead make it non-blocking and use something like select to handle it.

If anything you should use a thread pool that each handles a set of sockets, instead of each thread being a single socket.