On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 03:27:21 -0500, Timon Gehr <timon.g...@gmx.ch> wrote:

On 11/14/2011 01:02 AM, bearophile wrote:
Jonathan M Davis:

import std.algorithm;
void main() {
enum a = [3, 1, 2];
enum s = sort(a);
assert(equal(a, [3, 1, 2]));
assert(equal(s, [1, 2, 3]));
}

It's not a bug. Those an manifest constants. They're copy-pasted
into whatever
code you used them in. So,

enum a = [3, 1, 2];
enum s = sort(a);

is equivalent to

enum a = [3, 1, 2];
enum s = sort([3, 1, 2]);

You are right, there's no DMD bug here. Yet, it's a bit surprising to
sort in-place a "constant". I have to stop thinking of them as
constants. I don't like this design of enums...

It is the right design. Why should enum imply const or immutable? (or
inout, for that matter). They are completely orthogonal.

There is definitely some debatable practice here for wherever enum is
used on an array.

Consider that:

enum a = "hello";

foo(a);

Does not allocate heap memory, even though "hello" is a reference type.

However:

enum a = ['h', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o'];

foo(a);

Allocates heap memory every time a is *used*. This is counter-intuitive,
one uses enum to define things using the compiler, not during runtime.
It's used to invoke CTFE, to avoid heap allocation. It's not a glorified
#define macro.

The deep issue here is not that enum is used as a manifest constant, but
rather the fact that enum can map to a *function call* rather than the
*result* of that function call.

Would you say this should be acceptable?

enum a = malloc(5);

foo(a); // calls malloc(5) and passes the result to foo.

If the [...] form is an acceptable enum, I contend that malloc should be
acceptable as well.

a indeed refers to the result of the evaluation of ['h', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o'].

enum a = {return ['h', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o'];}(); // also allocates on every use

But malloc is not CTFE-able, that is why it fails.

My view is that enum should only be acceptable on data that is
immutable, or implicitly cast to immutable,

Too restrictive imho.

and should *never* map to an
expression that calls a function during runtime.

Well, I would not miss that at all.
But being stored as enum should not imply restrictions on type qualifiers.