Now, you could do

version(x)
    version = xOrY
else version(y)
    version = xOrY

version(xOrY) {}

Huh, clever! I like it!! I hope I don't have to do that very often, though...

Of course, if the issue is linux || FreeBSD, you might want to just consider using Posix. Unless you're doing something that is specific to linux and FreeBSD but not Posix in general (which I would expect to be unlikely), Posix
will do the trick just fine.

Yeah, that was just an example. Perhaps a better example would be comparing versions of something:

version (LIBV1 || LIBV2) {
    // include some dirty hacks for old versions
} else {
    // do some new fancy stuff for new features
}

I was mostly thinking that there are things that linux and BSD share that other BSDs may not. I know that Mac OS X has some subtle differences in a few things.

Anyway, I think this answers my question. I can get by with using your suggestion for those (hopefully) rare cases where I need something more specific.

Thanks!