On 02-04-2012 06:25, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Monday, April 02, 2012 05:41:00 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 30-03-2012 19:28, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, March 30, 2012 16:27:44 simendsjo wrote:
Is opImplicitCastTo a planned feature?
It's only used in this type as I can see, and it doesn't add implicit
casting.

It's been discussed, but I don't think that it's ever been agreed upon. In
theory, alias this is meant to deal with implicit casts. I don't know whay
anything in Phobos would have such a function. And I don't know what the
point of std.typecons.Ref really is. It's undocumented (and clearly is
_intended_ to be undocumented given what the comment is started with). I
suspect that it's an old idea that just hasn't been cleaned out. If
you'll notice, it also has opDot, which is being removed from the
language.

- Jonathan M Davis

But you can only have one alias this per type. It is outright
incompatible with the idea of implicit cast operators. It's like
restricting opCast to only one overload per function - a
not-very-pragmatic decision if you ask me...

alias this is not supposed to be restricted such that you can only have one
per type. That's a temporary, implementation problem. TDPL specifically talks
about having multiple alias thises per type.

- Jonathan M Davis

What is the reason it hasn't been realized yet?

--
- Alex