On 2012-04-02 02:43, Ary Manzana wrote:

This is what I don't like about D. It gives you a hammer and everyone
tries to solve all problems with that single hammer. Then you get
duplicated code for basic stuff, like getting the type of a field, in
many projects.

It's a waste of time for a developer to have to sit down and think how
we can cheat the compiler or make it talk to give us something it
already knows, but only having a hammer to do so.

Either put that in the language, or in the core library. But don't make
people waste time.

I'd suggest sending pull request with methods that accomplish those
annoyances.

On the other hand, take a look at the implementation of std.traits. Is
it really a win to implement functionLinkage in D? Right here:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/master/std/traits.d#L704

you are repeating the linkages with their names, when that information
is already available to the compiler. What's the point in duplicating
information? The compiler already knows it, and much better than D. It
could be implemented in a much simpler way. Is it just the pride of
saying "Look what I can do with my powerful compile time reflection
capabilities (basically stringof in that module)?"

I'm not angry, but I don't think things are taking the correct direction...

I agree.

--
/Jacob Carlborg