On Thursday, 26 April 2012 at 05:16:51 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
Besides, D's auto-deferencing semantics on  pointers
makes the difference barely noticeable anyway. Pointers auto-deference when using '.' member notation, for example. Once in a while you have to explicitly dereference a pointer or take an address, but those are very rare.

I was noticing that. Thankfully in the case where I'm using it, I have maybe 4 dereferences, total, and likely most aren't needed if I go through them again. To paraphrase Andrei (from memory): 'D is the only language that consistently does the right thing (most of the time)'

Perhaps pointers can be considered 'finer control' in some cases with auto-dereference. The more the language changes and gets better, the more and more I want to see it become more popular.

Although not directly related, I'm finding it funny how C++ is finally catching up on some of the features D has; But will always fall short (auto, lambdas, etc; and heavy discourage of using delete now)