It is indeed supposed to work, and was actually touted as a common and lauded example way back in the day. However, with the advent of this-params for templates it seems less useful now (once they've been through the ringer a little more at least).

I did use this-params to great effect in Zeal, to auto-inject behavior into subclasses with the proper scoping and other concerns. The base class didn't even have to be a template itself (just the magical internals).
https://github.com/csauls/zeal.d/blob/master/source/zeal/base/controller.d

So, to repeat, yes it is supposed to work... but I'm not so sure it is such a good idea anymore -- assuming this-params will work on the class declaration.

-- Chris NS