On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:42:21 -0500, Dmitry Olshansky <dmitry.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 24-Aug-12 07:03, 1100110 wrote:

On linux this is not so difficult to do.

Those values are generally in /proc, and it seems to be portable across
pretty much every distro with a relatively recent kernel.

I have an extremely half-assed bit of code that prints the load average
and the totaly % of mem used to my tmux session.
It gives the exact same values that are seen in top, or htop.(without
the overhead of parsing their output, cause that takes ~500ms, way too
slow.)

If parsing takes 500ms then something is seriously wrong. What is size of the input to parse and the machine specs?

No, you misunderstand.

Parsing the output of the `top` command takes ~500ms.

The snippet of code that reads /proc directly takes an order of magnitude less time.

I assume that top reads several times, and also reads the percentages of each process that is running, while I only
read the load average and total memory consumption.

The vast majority of the time spent parsing `top` was spent waiting for it to initialize, and print the values to be read.

TL;DR
Parsing was probably the wrong word to use.

Reading from /proc directly will take an order of magnitude less time.