On 08/25/2012 02:51 AM, Chris Cain wrote:
On Friday, 24 August 2012 at 23:14:02 UTC, maarten van damme wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sudoku_puzzle_hard_for_brute_force.jpg

It occurs to me that one of the main reasons why this particular puzzle
would be hard for brute force is that the first line is blank and more
than half of the second line is blank, and it seems like it is designed
to have as many choices as possible before a set square is encountered.

I bet it could be solved much quicker by a computer by doing it in reverse.

I've got some ideas, maybe I'll write a solution to this myself. :)

FWIW both mine and Maarten's solution require a trivial amount of time
to solve it.