On Friday, 21 September 2012 at 11:25:54 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2012 13:18:01 monarch_dodra wrote:
Related, could "toChar" be considered for inclusion? I think it
would be a convenient tool for validation.

I certainly would be against adding it. I think that it's a relatively uncommon use case and considering how easy it is to just write the function yourself, the functionality gain is minimal. I just don't think that it carries it's weight as far as the standard library goes. But I don't know how
others like Andrei would feel.

That said, if we go that way, we might as well just have a more
generic safeCast in std.conv or something:

You're basically asking for a version of std.conv.to which uses assertions
instead of exceptions.

- Jonathan M Davis

I know my ideas usually get shot down, but I usually learn a LOT from your answers, so sorry for insisting.

I did not know conv's to did cast validation. In my defense, the doc is actually missing:

http://dlang.org/phobos/std_conv.html

I made a doc pull request so that it would appear.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/811