Thanks for the links. Ya, I did see those threads and I understand there are limitations with dynamic load shared libraries, however, your answer is not very helpful. We shouldn't have to wait until they get 100% support to start using them (who knows when that happens); some applications just require them (eg writing matlab mex files).

In the meantime, the workaround I described above seems to adequately address the IO problem in shared libraries, it's just that it requires hacking inside std.stdio. So I'm just wondering whether I should:
* pull those changes back in phobos
* or if there's an alternative way of doing this

Thanks!