On Sunday, 14 October 2012 at 12:58:24 UTC, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
On 2012-10-14, 14:28, Martin wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm new to D so bare with me please. I've been trying to figure out what's up with the strange forward refernce errors the compiler (DMD 2.060) is giving me. Here's a code snippet that's generating a forward reference error:

public class AliasTestClass(alias func)
{

        static assert(__traits(isStaticFunction, func));

}

public class TestClass
{

        private AliasTestClass!(randomFunction) test; // <-----

        public static void randomFunction()

The strange part about it is that if I surround the randomFunction parameter with another pair of paranthesis like so

private AliasTestClass!((randomFunction)) test;

It works just fine. If I don't, however, I get a forward reference error: "Error: template instance main.AliasTestClass!(randomFunction) forward reference of randomFunction"

Am I doing anything wrong or is this some kind of bug?

It's a bug. Maybe it's already in Bugzilla (there are some forward-ref
bugs there already). Please file:

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/enter_bug.cgi

Oh, thank you for clarifying, I thought I was doing something wrong :)