On 14-Oct-12 20:19, Sean Kelly wrote:
On Oct 12, 2012, at 2:29 AM, Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk> wrote:

On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 20:30 -0700, Charles Hixson wrote:
[…]
I'm not clear on what Fibers are.  From Ruby they seem to mean
co-routines, and that doesn't have much advantage.  But it also seems as
[…]

I think the emerging consensus is that threads allow for pre-emptive
scheduling whereas fibres do not. So yes as in Ruby, fibres are
collaborative co-routines. Stackless Python is similar.

Yep. If fibers were used in std.concurrency there would basically be an
implicit yield in send and receive.

Makes me wonder how it will work with blocking I/O and the like. If all of (few of) threads get blocked this way that going to stall all of (thousands of) fibers.

--
Dmitry Olshansky