On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 at 19:32:03 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Yes, but that inevitably forces you to check the type in order to handle it correctly, which means that implicit conversion just doesn't work. In order for implicit conversion to work, you have to be able to assume that you're dealing with a particular type, and if you can do that, why are you using a Variant in the first place? Just use a common type.

I know for my own project a common type isn't possible (It's a block of raw memory most of the time), but i do know at certain points if it's one type or another just because of where it's at. In order to handle all the types it ends up either being a pointer (union for all) or use long and double and string, but you I have to call them manually (geti, gets, getf).

Also implicit conversion only makes sense if it's a type that can be converted to. Any user type can't be converted without alias this or classes/interfaces.