On Thursday, 6 December 2012 at 10:31:43 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
On 06-12-2012 10:02, Russel Winder wrote:
What is the right idiom for testing that a function call does segfault
when you want it to?

There is basically no portable, clean way to do that. Why are you relying on segmentation faults? It's generally speaking a very bad idea because behavior depends entirely on the platform and architecture...

I am not relying on segfaults, that would just be silly ;-) The issue is that unit tests should test error as well as success. I want to know if I get a segfault when I have an infinite recursion in an algorithm (due to incorrect parameters slipping through data validation).

I am also trying to investigate tail recursion optimization and getting a segfault is a way of detecting that it isn't happening.

(Sorry for the delay in replying I lost the email in my client.)