On Thursday, 10 January 2013 at 00:21:48 UTC, Charles Hixson wrote:
Would the following code:
for (int i = 1; i < di.count; i++)
{  assert (node.di.entry[i - 1].key < node.di.entry[i].key);  }

be optimized away if compiled under -release?

If you write it as:
//----
version(assert)
{
    for (int i = 1; i < di.count; i++)
        assert (node.di.entry[i - 1].key < node.di.entry[i].key);
}
//----

Then I 100% guarantee that it will not appear in release mode ;)

I know it's *kind of* off topic in regards to the original question, but if you have a chunk of code that is destined only for assertive validation, you might as well put it in an assert block: Not only is it guaranteed behavior (as opposed to relying on the compiler). It also makes reviewing simpler, as it is self documenting. Without it, a reviewer might waste effort thinking about the loop conditions*

*Also: What is "di"? If it is a user defined type, and if "count" is not declared as const, then the compiler may not optimize away the loop itself, because it is worried about any side effect from calling di.count.