I'm not sure what "in spite of" is. No offense, but you seem to be the only person having problems with this.
Maybe I'm the only one who uses so many structs. That happens when you have strong C++ background. I miss '&'. :D

And the workarounds are plenty: My proposal, templatizing for auto ref, pass by value...
I don't know. Templatizing just for auto ref seems a bad Idea for me.
But pass by value for small structs shouldn't be much overhead.

In particular, you can't pack classes in a table, for example.
I don't understand.

That said, if you pass everything by value, and make things < 16 bytes structs, and > 16 bytes classes, you should get a good deal.
Yes, that sounds good.