On Wednesday, 24 April 2013 at 10:33:49 UTC, Ivan Kazmenko wrote:
On Wednesday, 24 April 2013 at 10:26:19 UTC, Andrea Fontana wrote:
I'd like to mention that there's no such mathematical object as "uniform distribution on [0..+infinity)".

... you neither can choose a random real number in any interval ...

... but that is at least valid mathematically, albeit achievable only approximately on a computer. On the other hand, an infinite case, even if it would be possible, won't be practical anyway since with probability 1, the result would require more bits to store than available on any modern hardware.

I mean that a random real number is not valid mathematically too. In any given real interval there are infinite numbers, how you can choose a number in an infinite (and non-numerable!) interval? I think you always need some sampling.

What's the probability to guess a precise number in [0..1]? I think is 0 as long as you have infinite numbers.

What's the probability to guess a interval in [0..1]? I think it's the interval size.

Am I wrong?