Diggory:

Is the behaviour of the empty [] when applied to tuples documented anywhere?

I don't remember.

The problem is that this doesn't work if the tuple is empty:
Error: template std.algorithm.canFind does not match any function template declaration.

And unfortunately in the situation I need it for an empty tuple is one of the most likely scenarios.

I see. Then a good idea is to create a little function, to solve this. It should contain a static if that tests for the empty tuple and returns false in that case, and otherwise uses the canFind.

Bye,
bearophile