It's a long story and I will return in a few months and give you
the whole story, but right now, time is not on my side.  I have
answers for all the questions you folks have asked, and I
appreciate all the input.  I have the answer that I was looking
for, so in a few months, I will come back and explain the whole
story.  Thanks for all the response and suggestions.

after makeing us girls all wet to help you - your reply is
"no sex on the first date, im a gentlemen... but maybe in a few months"

so:

you having a jscript doing somehting with files,fileextensions over networkdrive - it runs around 8h

you ported that jscript to D - now it runs for 6h

you noob-guessed the lowercase-if-party could be evil (btw: it cost more time to guess then to benchmark)

you get trivial answers that won't get you very much, the lowercase would not boost your speed that much and the networkdrive latency will kill all the other statemachine ideas

you don't answer trivial questions about the big picture - and now you're out of time

open questions:
-why not collect the data on the server itself - instead of grabbing tiny bits over network? - this is for understanding your environent

Just for a sanity check I implemented a quick client-server setup where the daemon takes filespec from the client and returns a line-by-line list compressed into one packet.

The total running time on 8 terabytes of files stored over a dozen drives searched recursively: less than 1 minute.

Same over slow WiFi, negligible difference (list compresses to a few Kb) with LZMA.

I did not even bother to search each physical drive separately, just produced the list sequentially.

-how big is the speed drop with your tool on the very same drive localy and over a networkdrive? - this is for understanding the latency

-are you also reading this files or just doing filename search (recursively?) and throwing out non office-extensions? this is for getting an idea if buildin OS(operating system) features can help

see you in a few months

It's impossible to help people who refuse to give basic information.