On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 18:55:44 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:
I've been researching ways to accomplish creating a template that creates a special kind of derived type and i think i need a push in the right direction. Take this simple class:

class Person
{
        private string _name;
        private int _age;

        this(string name, int age)
        {
                this._name = name;
                this._age  = age;
        }

        public string getName()
        {
                return this._name;
        }

        public int getAge()
        {
                return this._age;

I want to create a mock of this class which would mean achieving the following:

1). Extend the class
2). Override all public methods to do nothing (or look for enabled methods) 3). Provide a way of dynamically enabling methods with new return values

Extending the class is pretty easy and adding methods dynamically looks to be solved (TDPL 12.11.1) but it's the override all public methods to do something different which is beating me. I know it will probably involve mixins and dealing with tuples somewhere along the line but documentation is lacking everywhere i look.

std.traits gives me information about a type but using that information is where i need the documentation. e.g. i know the traits methods return tuples but how do you work with these tuples? how to Iterate through them? I seem to always get stuck when trying to iterate through tuples and generate compiler errors.

I've taken a look at the std.typecons source especially BlackHole and WhiteHole templates but i get lost. They are almost doing what i want but for abstract methods.

The general usage is probably going to be something like this:

class Mock(T) : T
{
    // Implementation
}

auto cat = Mock!Cat("Ginger"); // constructors supported.

auto person = Mock!Person();

person.addMethod("getName", delegate(){
    return "Foo";
});

person.addMethod("getAge", delegate(){
    return 10;
});

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

AutoImplement (http://dlang.org/phobos/std_typecons.html#.AutoImplement) from std.typecons should do what you want. Instead of implementing only abstract methods, you could make it implement all non-final methods by changing the 'what' template parameter to simply return true (final methods are skipped regardless). Then you could change the 'how' template parameter to return ReturnType!parent.init unless an argument is set in an AA. I can't say I've ever tried this though, so I'm not sure how well it would work in reality.

https://github.com/QAston/DMocks-revived may interest you as well.